Thursday, November 21, 2013

Happy Beginnings

So, as of late, there is this new song that I can't stop listening to. It's called "San Francisco" by the Mowgli's. It's upbeat, has an amazing melody, beat, and man... THAT TRUMPET. It makes me want to dance every time it comes on my iPod. Then, all of a sudden, I know the lyrics! It's amazing. Then slowly, I start to think about the lyrics I'm singing.

 "I've been in love with love,
and the idea of
something binding us together,
it's collectively unconsciously composed."

Let's think about those lyrics for a second. How often are we (or do we know someone who is) "in love with love?" They're always chasing after love. It's about the relationship, not the person. Deep, right? It's sad, but at the same time, I find myself even more fascinated with human beings through this concept. We are raised around movies and stories where the "happy ending" is finding companionship. (Belle falls in love with the Beast, Ariel gets to keep her prince and her deep sea friends, and every other romantic comedy in the world.) So as kids, we are trapped in the concept that to be happy or to have a "happy ending" we need to find companionship. Is this true?

My favorite movie of all time is Beauty and the Beast. Closely followed by Phantom of the Opera, Ever After, Tangled, The Lion King, and the pattern continues. I LOVE romantic movies, books, happy endings, and you name it. For a long time I believed that this screwed me over. When you have someone like me, you have one big problem: really high standards. People who face this problem do one of two things: They either settle for something less (because they can't find someone who meets these standards) or they just give up. I've taken both of these paths at different points in my life. I've met two men (ever) who made me believe that these fairy-tale princes actually exist.

The first was my dad. He's not perfect, of course. He and my mom have stupid little fights from time to time. But can you ever believe that Prince Charming didn't give Cinderella hell for running away with one shoe? What about Ariel trading her VOICE for Eric? They were ridiculous and the men probably teased them until they ended up in a knock down drag out. Of course, what is perfect? Maybe it's the imperfection in a relationship that makes it perfect. Maybe there is no "happy ending" only happy beginnings. So with this, I've decided every day is going to be a "happy beginning" for me.

I've realized I'm not "In love with love" but I am in love with Creation. People are so beautiful. Life is so beautiful. This sounds so corny. Don't get me wrong, I would love to meet Prince Charming who sweeps me away to infinity and beyond. I would love to travel the world with my sweetheart, then settle down on the beach and have a family. Could a girl ask for more? But my dad has given me faith that there are men out there who meet my standards. My parents, together, have made me believe in happy beginnings, here on earth. They have taught me that my "happy ending" is with God.

So, until my "happy ending" I'm going to live my life like every day is a "happy beginning." The world is a vast blanket, and I've only laid eyes on a single thread. I'll travel the world, meet new people, serve people, serve God, and if I happen to find companionship on my walk, so be it. God's will be done.

In the meantime, I am sorry I haven't posted much. My schedule has been crammed full. Between all of my final projects/tests/assignments due for school (which is over in two weeks! yay!) my jobs (Torrid, and COTA (I worked the F1 Races this last weekend)) I can't find time to breathe. If I don't post again soon, I hope everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving. I know we all have much to be thankful for.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! Very insightful and oh so sweet!!! This outlook with definitely carry you far in life! The happiest ending we could possibly have is in fact with God! Stay strong in your faith and diligent in your "happy beginnings" and everything else will fall into place. I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete